Friday, December 29, 2006

Grandma got run over by a reindeer

One of my least favorite things about the holiday season is the grandma phenomenon. The grandkids live far away and only see her on Christmas and Easter. So it's been awhile. Did I mention she's 80 years old and in a nursing home? So the family gets together for Christmas and the grandkids realize that grandma's old! "Grandma doesn't look so hot, does she?" " Grandma, you look so much older than last time I saw you (8 months ago)! We had better get you to the hospital!"

I have no problems seeing Grandma and even running what are likely unnecessary tests to make everyone happy. Chances are, grandma is a little bit dehydrated. Aren't we all? But if grandma has no complaints, I don't want to keep her in the hospital. And the family usually wants me to. "Can't you find a reason to admit her?" I try to explain the risks of hospital-acquired infections and deconditioning on someone who really isn't sick, but it is rarely successful. The families usually refuse to take grandma home, so what can I do? They feel better because they swooped in to rescue this poor old lady and now they can relax and enjoy the rest of Christmas without the shadow of the woman they once knew sitting quietly in the corner.

No comments: